This unit deals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to practise scaling teeth, debriding root surfaces and removing deposits and stains from the hard tissues to promote optimum oral health.
Application of the Unit:
The application of knowledge and skills described in this competency unit may relate to functions such as providing information to patients or assisting in the provision of dental health care services.
Work at this level may require guidance and/or supervision, especially where provision of direct client services are involved.
Requires a state/territory regulatory determination regarding delegation and supervision.
This unit should be assessed after achievement of the following related competency units:
- HLTFA301B - Apply first aid
- HLTAMBFC301B - Communicate with clients and colleagues to support health care
- HLTDA410B - Apply the principles of radiation biology and protection in dental practice
- HLDA411B - Prepare to expose a prescribed dental radiographic image
- HLTDA412B - Produce a dental radiographic image
- TAFEDH001 - Provide leadership in promoting effective and professional work practices
- TAFEDH005 - Examine, record and assess patient histories and dental records to formulate a dental hygiene treatment plan
The unit should also be assessed in conjunction with competency unit(s) related to planning/delivery of the Advanced Diploma of Oral Health (Dental Hygiene).
The required outcomes described in this unit of competency contain applicable facets of Employability Skills.
The Employability Skills Summary of the qualification in which this unit of competency is packaged will assist in identifying Employability Skill requirements.