This unit of competency describes the application of in-depth level of knowledge of medicine and pharmacology required to analyse, interpret and investigate a patient's medical history and available health information in relation to dental hygiene practice.
Application of the Unit:
The knowledge and skills described in this competency unit are to be applied within the National Law - dental hygiene regulatory and legislative requirements.
Dental hygiene work is to be carried out in consultation/collaboration with the dentist and other support dental staff in line with jurisdictional regulatory requirements.
This unit should be assessed after achievement of the following related competency units:
- HLTFA301B - Apply first aid
- TAFEDH032 - Confirm physical health status
- TAFEDH003 - Analyse oral status
- TAFEDH005 - Examine, record and assess patient histories and dental records to formulate a dental hygiene treatment plan
- TAFEDH010 - Research and evaluate patient dental and health history to prevent and/or manage emergencies
The unit should also be assessed in conjunction with competency unit(s) related to planning/delivery of the Advanced Diploma of Oral Health (Dental Hygiene).
The required outcomes described in this unit of competency contain applicable facets of Employability Skills.
The Employability Skills Summary of the qualification in which this unit of competency is packaged will assist in identifying Employability Skill requirements.