This unit deals with a moderate level of knowledge, skills, judgements, values and attitudes needed to provide evidence based dental hygiene therapeutic, preventive and supportive services, and educational intervention to patients with simple to moderate periodontal conditions and disorders, within the context of dental hygiene practice and conducted according to occupational health, safety and welfare policy and procedures and infection control policy and procedures.
Application of the Unit:
The knowledge and skills described in this competency unit are to be applied within the National Law - dental hygiene regulatory and legislative requirements.
Dental hygiene work is to be carried out in consultation/collaboration with the dentist and other support dental staff in line with jurisdictional regulatory requirements.
This unit should be assessed after achievement of the following related competency units:
- HLTFA301B - Apply first aid
- TAFEDH001 - Provide leadership in promoting effective and professional work practices
- TAFEDH032 - Confirm physical health status
- TAFEDH003 - Analyse oral status
- TAFEDH010 - Research and evaluate patient dental and health history to prevent and/or manage emergencies
- TAFEDH012 - Apply reflective practice, critical thinking and analysis in dental health
The unit should also be assessed in conjunction with competency unit(s) related to planning/delivery of the Advanced Diploma of Oral Health (Dental Hygiene).
The required outcomes described in this unit of competency contain applicable facets of Employability Skills.
The Employability Skills Summary of the qualification in which this unit of competency is packaged will assist in identifying Employability Skill requirements.