This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to observe the condition of the patient and gather information relevant to the case, according to a nutritional dental health preventive practice.
Application of the Unit:
The knowledge and skills described in this competency unit are to be applied within the National Law - dental hygiene regulatory and legislative requirements.
Dental hygiene work is to be carried out in consultation/collaboration with the dentist and other support dental staff in line with jurisdictional regulatory requirements.
This unit should be assessed after achievement of the following related competency units:
- HLTAMBFC301B - Communicate with clients and colleagues to support health care
- HLTIN403B - Implement and monitor infection control policies and procedures
- TAFEDH005 - Examine, record and assess patient histories and dental records to formulate a dental hygiene treatment plan
- TAFEDH008 - Analyse diagnostic tests to determine oral health status
- TAFEDH032 - Confirm physical health status
The unit should also be assessed in conjunction with competency unit(s) related to planning/delivery of the Advanced Diploma of Oral Health (Dental Hygiene).
The required outcomes described in this unit of competency contain applicable facets of Employability Skills.
The Employability Skills Summary of the qualification in which this unit of competency is packaged will assist in identifying Employability Skill requirements.